AS Roma today unveiled their new logo, marking their 86th anniversary since the club was founded.
The new Roma logo features clean, modern lines along with a contemporary and timeless graphic structure. The logo is designed to reflect the essence of AS Roma – pride, courage, inventiveness, and passion – fundamental values of Roman culture as well.
The updated logo is a vibrant new take on AS Roma’s memorable crest, which has represented the Club since its inception. Many of the key elements, endemic to the city of Rome, will remain the same, including:
1) Historic Shape of the Shield – The updated logo maintains the shape and proportions of the original AS Roma crest, represented in art and sculpture throughout the city. The additional black line in the middle provides a stable base for La Lupa Capitolina and her twins.
2) Traditional Red and Yellow Colours – The classic color palette, which evokes the colors of Rome, remains and will continue to pay tribute to the community that the Club represents.
3) La Lupa Capitolina with twins Romulus and Remus – The Club that represents Rome is inextricably linked with the birth of the Eternal City, founded 2,766 years ago. We continue to honour the icon that is recognized worldwide.
AS Roma has tremendous brand equity that far outpaces that of nearly every European sports club. The Club has carefully evolved the logo to respect the past but represent the future.
1) ROMA – The city of Rome is known and admired throughout the world. To properly acknowledge the unparalleled bond between the Club and the city, the monogram ASR has been proudly replaced with the full name of the city.
2) 1927 – The Club has tremendous respect for its history and the accomplishments of its players. During the 2012/2013 season, AS Roma introduced the first Hall of Fame in Italy. Placing the year of the team’s foundation into the official logo pays further homage to the legacy of the Club.
3) La Lupa Capitolina – This icon has become stronger, more graphic and more modern, a new wolf for a new era. She and the twins are represented in a 3-dimensional manner, to better represent the magnitude of the brand within Rome and around the world.
4) Typeface – The Trajan Pro typeface used in the updated logo is an ideal fit with the traditional shape of the crest. It is honest and strong, a modern evolution of a classic. A second complementary typeface – Helvetica Neue Light – will be used in all Club communications.
5) Accent Colour – A metallic silver color has been integrated into the logo. The addition of the silver brings a refined and subtle diversity and depth to the AS Roma colour palette.
6) Wordmark – A new wordmark for AS Roma has been designed using the same Trajan Pro typeface so that it complements the shield logo in an enduring fashion. It also utilizes a “dot” to separate the words, reminiscent of the ancient style used on Roman statues and monuments.
Source – Club Official Website
Posted on May 22, 2013